Dominion Energy Operations Specialist I/II/III in RICHMOND, Virginia
Operations Specialist I/II/III
Date: Nov 22, 2022
Location: RICHMOND, VA, US, 23294
Company: Dominion Energy
At Dominion Energy we love our jobs. That’s right. Love. Every day we go to work filled with passion to be excellent, to creatively problem solve and to innovate. These are exciting days for energy companies, and Dominion Energy aims to shape the future of energy in America. We are looking at all of our work with fresh eyes, retooling everything we do, in every part of the company, to operate more sustainably and to deliver energy more reliably than ever. We are looking for interesting, independent thinkers and doers who can help shape the culture of a forward-looking company that’s proud of its rich legacy. Are you a change agent? Do you think differently? Do you want to fall in love with your job? If you answered “yes,” then read on!
There is one position which will be filled at the level commensurate with the successful candidate's education, experience, knowledge, skills and abilities.
This role is responsible for the installation, commissioning, maintenance, troubleshooting, and corrective activities on electric distribution protective devices and equipment outside of the substation fence (reclosers, sectionalizes, switches and other devices), the associated control and automation circuits, and data communications equipment (fiber optic, cellular modem, landline, etc.) within Dominion Energy's distribution system. This role requires regular field visits and provides coverage for all automated distribution equipment in Dominion Energy’s service territory.
Installation and commissioning activities include the review of engineering designs for protection and automation schemes, control application drawings, logic diagrams, protection set points, and SCADA data communication interfaces. This role assists local operations/construction and distribution engineers in the setting of protective and automation controls and the functional testing of primary and secondary protective equipment to ensure installation per Dominion Energy and/or manufacturer's design and standard. This role assists distribution engineers and others in developing in-service verification and final commissioning procedures on new company and customer protection and automation schemes and equipment interface controls, including DG (Distributed Generation) sights.
Maintenance activities include routine calibration and functional testing of microprocessor-controlled devices, and other distribution line protective device equipment and their associated control systems. These maintenance activities require a comprehensive knowledge of the protection and automation schemes and associated data communication equipment interfaces necessary to provide the Regional Operations Centers with critical protective equipment Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) telemetry.
Additional responsibilities include:
• Train, support, and provide direction to peers and co-workers.
• Provide sequence of events support for operational issues and customer inquiries.
• Maintain distribution control diagram files, control test records, test procedures, methods, and service advisories.
• Participate in afterhours emergency storm restoration and other operational activities.
• Perform other duties as requested or assigned.
Job responsibilities may require extended hours and extended travel to the furthest reaches of Dominion Energy’s service territory. Some instances may require overnight travel. All tasks must be performed with the highest emphasis on safety, reliability, and customer service.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities & Experience
The knowledge, skills, abilities and experiences required for entry into this job include the following:
• Comprehensive knowledge of the electric distribution system.
• Some Knowledge of the electric transmission system.
• Proficient using personal and mainframe computer systems.
• Comprehensive knowledge of electricity fundamentals and protective device coordination.
• Comprehensive knowledge of microprocessor-based protection technology, including logic diagrams, communication interfaces, and fiber optic networks.
• Ability to understand and test complex protective relay control/automation schemes and remote terminal units.
• Ability to adapt to emerging priorities and consistent change.
• Ability to perform in high-pressure situations with tight deadlines.
• Comprehensive knowledge of SCADA data communication equipment interfaces.
• Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
• Effective oral and written communication.
• Self-starter and self-motivated.
• Effective planner, organizer, leader, decision maker, and multi-tasker.
• Ability to think analytically and solve complex problems.
• Ability to lift and carry heavy equipment and tools.
• Must be able to meet North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC) qualifications requirements.
• Ability to safely operate a company vehicle.
o In high volume, congested traffic.
o For long distances to outer limits of coverage area.
o Across rural secondary roads.
o In inclement weather.
o Across off-road terrain.
The basic experience qualifications required for entry into this job include the following:
Operations Specialist I : Minimum 2 years related experience
Operations Specialist II: Minimum 5 years related experience
Operations Specialist III: Minimum 7 years related experience
The company is actively seeking United States military veterans and service members who meet the qualifications outlined below.
Operations Specialist II: Military service members and veterans with ranks from E3-E5, W1-W2, or O1-O3, plus appropriate equivalent combination of education and years of experience as outlined above.
Operations Specialist III: Military service members and veterans with ranks from E5-E9, W1-CW5, or O3-O6, plus appropriate equivalent combination of education and years of experience as outlined above.
Preferred: Associate degree or higher.
Demonstrated related or equivalent experience may be substituted for preferred education.
Required: High School Diploma
Electrical/Electronic Engineering Technology
Other disciplines may be substituted for the preferred discipline(s) listed above.
Confined spaces Up to 25%
Office Work Environment Up to 25%
Americans with Disabilities Act
This Job Summary contains the essential functions as required by the Americans with Disabilities Act. Dominion Job Summaries contain information, which is competitively sensitive, confidential and proprietary, and are for internal purposes only. This information may not be shared with, sent or given to anyone who is not an existing Dominion employee without the written permission of Compensation Services. Any employee who violates this requirement will be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination.
Certain positions at Dominion Energy may involve access to information and technology subject to export controls under U.S. law. Compliance with these export controls may result in Dominion Energy limiting its consideration of certain applicants.
We offer excellent plans and programs for employees. Employees are rewarded with a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package which may include: health benefits with coverage for families and domestic partners, vacation, retirement plans, paid holidays, tuition reimbursement, and much more. To learn more about our benefits, click here
Dominion Energy is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a diverse workforce. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their protected veteran or disabled status.
You can experience the excitement of our company – it's the difference between taking a job and starting a career.
Nearest Major Market: Richmond
Job Segment: Electrical, Instrumentation, Mainframe, Telecom, Telecommunications, Technology, Engineering
- Dominion Energy Jobs