Tulsa Legacy Charter School 2020-2021 Upper Academy Teacher Assistant in Primary Academy (Tulsa, United States
Teacher Assistant, Upper Academy (4th-8th grade)
Tulsa Legacy Charter School (TLCS) Teacher Assistants are more than instructional staff members and classroom managers. They help transform children’s lives by creating opportunities for a brighter future. We are seeking Teacher Assistants who will make the commitment to teach with determination, integrity, and purpose, embodying these essential qualities:
• Past experiences and actions reflect a commitment to the TLCS mission, vision, core values
• A passion and ability to build and sustain the TLCS model in a high need, urban environment
• Work in schools that demonstrates a sense of urgency and the relentless pursuit of high academic student achievement
• Reflective, self-aware and adaptable to communication and work styles of others
• Critical thinker and problem solver who takes the initiative
• Belief in the power of collaboration and works to build a collaborative culture with TLCS network, community, staff, families, and students
To assist the teacher in maintaining appropriate classroom activities and environment so that students may learn effectively.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
A Legacy teacher assistant works to create and enhance a culture of achievement and respect where high expectations and results are the norms. All teacher assistants are responsible for demonstrating significant and measurable academic gains, each year, with the students they teach. All teachers assistants' actions must always be aligned with our mission, vision, core values, and education program. The essential functions for our Teachers Assistants are as follows:
• Participates in daily and long-range lesson and classroom activity planning.
• Adhere to the daily routine and schedule provided by classroom
• Conducts learning exercises with small groups of children.
• Maintain a safe and productive learning environment. Implement classroom procedures, systems, and routines that provide structure for students and maximize instructional
• Communicate and enforce high expectations and standards for behavior and academic performance, aligned with the TLCS School Culture Guide and Responsive Classroom, to maintain a strong culture of achievement and
• Establish, model, practice, and reinforce age-appropriate rules and logical consequences
• Fulfill all outlined and related functions professionally, timely and thoroughly
• Present academic content through a variety of instructional strategies to reach all
• Guides children in working and playing harmoniously with other children.
• Alerts the teacher to special needs of individual children
• Provides escort and assistance to children as necessary.
• Listens to the students in recitation, reading, and other curriculum tasks
• Helps maintain individual records for each child.
• Fosters good eating habits and table manners in children.
• Assists teacher in maintaining neat work and study areas.
• Assists with the supervision of children during regular play periods
• Collects and displays suitable material for educational displays.
• Under the supervision of the teacher, works with small groups of students to reinforce material initially introduced by the teacher.
• Accompanies the student when trips to the office or school nurse are necessary.
• Enforces school board policies and regulations.
• Inputs data and runs selected reports from developed software. The database includes students, teachers, and classes.
• Works cooperatively with all stakeholders
• High school diploma/GED is required
• 48 hours of approved college credit or an Associates’ Degree from an accredited is not required, but preferred
SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATES WILL POSSESS:
• Experience working with children ages in upper elementary and middle school, preferably in an educational setting
• Strong desire to work within an innovative, urban program
• Ability to implement lesson plans and manage students
• Highly effective oral and interpersonal skills to communicate with a varied audience
• Ability to operate various office computers, fax machines, and copiers