National Grid Mechanical and Electrical Fitter - Murton SR7 in Murton, United Kingdom
Unlock your potential and start a rewarding career in the electricity transmission industry.
£36,645 to £40,755 pa including allowances + benefits package + Company Vehicle with fuel from home to work.
It’s a great opportunity for a Mechanical and Electrical Fitter working in the Wearside Team. Due to the nature of our work we’re looking for you to live somewhere within 30 minutes of Murton SR7.
We offer job stability as we play a vital role in powering the nation through our substations. Working in the Electricity Supply Industry is highly fulfilling, and we'll challenge you with a diverse workload that covers a wide range of asset types, technical complexities, and skillsets. Safety is paramount in our HV Transmission Substations, with our team members comfortable working to National Grid's high safety standards.
You’ll generally be working in a team of 2 to 10 people and be involved with maintenance, refurbishment or replacement work on electricity substations. This could be from single asset replacements such as circuit breakers and transformers to maintaining/repairing aging high speed on load tap changers or complex 400kV circuit breakers. We also work on all kinds of ancillary equipment, DC battery systems, air compressors, diesels etc.
What you'll need to apply
A minimum Level 2/3 Apprenticeship in electrical or mechanical engineering or an NVQ/Level 3 Electrical qualification with the relevant experience is required. A Full UK Driving Licence. You can use a computer. Substation experienced – Desirable. IOSH – Desirable.
Some of the key skill areas we look for are Mechanical, Electrical, Hydraulic, Pneumatic, Safety Procedures, Working at Height, Lifting Operations, Panel Wiring, and Fault Finding. It is not necessary that a successful candidate requires all of the above skillsets, but a wide breadth of knowledge would be beneficial. Prior knowledge/experience within the electricity supply industry would be beneficial but not a requirement. On job and Formal training will be available for development purposes
Pay and Benefits
• A competitive salary from £34,940 to £39,050 pa + Seasonal Working Allowance £1,705 pa.
• Company commercial vehicle & fuel from home to work.
• 37 hours Mon – Fri the weekends are yours.
• 26 days annual leave plus 8 statutory days
• The option to buy additional or sell holiday days.
• Generous contributory pension scheme - we will double-match your contribution to a maximum company contribution of 12%. Totalling 18%.
• Financial support to help cover the cost of professional membership subscriptions, course fees, books, exam fees and time off for study leave – so long as it’s relevant to your role.
• Access to flexible benefits such as a share incentive plan, salary sacrifice car and technology schemes, support via employee assistance lines and matched charity giving to name a few.
• Family care benefits including a back-up care service for when your usual care arrangements fall through (six paid days each year as standard with the option to purchase further days).
• Access to apps that support health, fitness and wellbeing.
Relocation package is not available for this position.
Your journey to a fulfilling career in the electricity transmission industry begins here.
Apply now for immediate consideration.