Ameriprise Financial Director, Technical Accounting in Minneapolis, Minnesota
Responsible to provide technical accounting guidance/interpretation and business impact assessment on the application of U.S. generally accepted accounting principles (U.S. GAAP) and International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) to business partners across finance and enterprise for new accounting standards and business transactions. Provide accounting interpretations and recommendations to senior management and to establish/ leverage working relationships and influence decisions, behaviors at many levels of the organization to facilitate accounting processes.
Full-Time / Part-Time:
About Our Company:
With the right company, life can Be Brilliant®. At Ameriprise Financial, we’re not just in the business of helping clients with their financial goals – we also help our advisors and employees reach their true potential by embracing an inclusive and collaborative culture. We celebrate the unique qualities and reward the contributions of our talented, passionate employees. If you’re motivated and want to work for a strong, ethical company that cares about you and your community, take the next step with Ameriprise Financial and we can Be Brilliant® together.
Ameriprise Financial is an equal opportunity employer. We consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, genetic information, age, sexual orientation, citizenship, gender identity, disability, veteran status, marital status, family status or any other basis prohibited by law.
• 10+ years of work experience in accounting or SEC reporting
• Master’s degree
• Industry experience in financial services (e.g., banking, insurance, asset management, or broker dealer)
Line of Business:
Director, Technical Accounting
• Responsible to monitor new accounting developments for U.S. GAAP and IFRS with potential impact to the company, including the development of the standards and influencing the Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB) through the comment letter process, and communication and training for all organization levels regarding new accounting changes.
• Works with industry trade groups (e.g., SIFMA, ABA) to prepare comments on proposed standards for the FASB or International Accounting Standard Board (IASB).
• Provides thought leadership while managing cross-functional implementation teams to define and build the operational accounting process needed to execute the changes. Provides guidance regarding the first-time disclosures, documents accounting policy changes, and support to the external auditors.
• Engagement and review of new business transactions; including accounting guidance/interpretation and optimal structuring solutions for a variety of topics (e.g., stock-based compensation, business combinations, derivatives, etc.). Involves understanding the transaction, researching the accounting literature, providing structuring alternatives, strategize best position for desired results, documenting conclusions, resolving auditor questions and documentation needs, assessing and developing new controls, developing operational processes to account for complex transactions, assessing operations and/or financial risks.
• Actively strategize with peers in accounting policy group(s) for the industry trade groups. Responsible to develop relationships with peers and represent the firm’s views to peers, FASB, and IASB for optimal accounting solutions for the company related to U.S. GAAP, IFRS, and statuary accounting matters.
• Provide advisory services to the SEC reporting team and review all financial statements for the Company's SEC filings and other audited financial statements. Provides guidance regarding generally accepted accounting standards. Responsible to resolve inquiries from External Reporting, Business Unit Controllers, and External Auditors regarding financial statements.
• 7-10 years of work experience (can be combination of public accounting and/or industry position in accounting policy or SEC Reporting)
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting
• Strong knowledge of US GAAP and SEC Reporting requirements
• Ability to build collaborative relationships and work up, down and across the organization
• Strategic and independent thinker with ability to quickly adapt to change
• Strong people leadership, including accomplishing work through others
• High energy individual that enjoys working in fast paced environment with ability to lead through change management in addition to executing on day-to-day activities
• CPA license (inactive or active)
Job Family Group: