BT ETU Specialist Research Professional in Ipswich, United Kingdom
Our mission is to break down the barriers of today to release the potential of tomorrow. Join us today and release yours.
About this role
This is a technical expert role in Applied Research where the individual will apply their key expertise within a clearly defined sphere of technical knowledge to complex business issues or opportunities. The role holder actively engages with colleagues to progress new research in important technical topics and supports the realisation of business value from research and innovation outputs.
You'll have the following responsibilities
Specifically this role is accountable for:
Contributing specialist technical knowledge and leading specific project task(s), making clear technical recommendations which lead to new solutions to business challenges and opportunities in areas supporting BT’s strategic priorities, or new fields with potential impact on BT’s future business.
Maintaining awareness of advances in their field and the activities of other researchers or organisations.
Preparing reports and presentations to customers and collaborative partners
Contributing to journal publications, popular science articles etc. which contribute to BT’s world-class standing in telecommunications and ICT research.
Contributing to the creation of intellectual property rights which will enhance BT’s competitive position
Providing consultancy on their area of expertise to LoBs and other R&D project teams as required
Influencing the strategic direction of technical projects within BT in order to intercept the most appropriate market opportunity with best effect.
Proposing new opportunities for BT arising from their research (e.g. new revenues, cost savings or improvements to customer service) for consideration by the Research and Innovation Oversight Group.
• Designing, architecting and developing cloud ready, externally exploitable applications from Applied Research’s wider innovation portfolio across the full stack (front end, back end, integration)
• Contributing as a software consultant to architecture and solution design decisions towards the technology roadmap
• Owning specific areas of solutions and liaising with customers and stakeholders to collect and refine requirements
• Providing assurance for other team members coaching & mentoring, code reviews and pair programming
• Running the SCRUM process in rotation with the rest of the team
• Maintaining expertise in a specific technical domain areas.
• Responsible for intellectual property creation and supporting IPR exploitation where appropriate
• Responsible for authoring thought leadership technical papers, capturing intellectual property in Software Engineering related areas
• Supervision of graduate and post-graduate student placements and secondments and sub-cons as appropriate
You'll have the following skills & experience
• Technical domain expert: Deep technical or domain expertise. They continually develop their expertise in a key technical area so they are recognised as a technical expert in that domain
• Qualifications: Strong academic record in technology specialism with post-graduate qualification(s) (PhD or equivalent research experience).
• Expert communicator: Regularly presents to peers and managers about their research and area of technical expertise
• Experienced in open innovation: Skilled in patenting, technical publications, conference presentations etc.
• Story-telling with data: strong skills in building the case for change, drawing on data and analytical techniques where appropriate, and communicating this to business audiences
• Concept Evaluation: ability to spot relevant innovations, horizon scanning, determine relevance for the business, develop an effective conceptualisation and build trials to test the concept
• Agile/SCRUM advocate: evidence of working within an Agile/SCRUM environment with experience of TDD and Continuous Integration approaches (MANDATORY)
• Significant delivery: evidence of significant business impact through delivery of software (MANDATORY)
• Innovative Thinker: ability to spot and identify new innovations and act to bring them in and capitalise and create value (MANDATORY)
• Stakeholder management: evidence of managing project stakeholders across the business at a variety of grade and seniority levels (DESIRABLE)
• Commercial Applicability: understanding the business case principals around relevant innovations and the real value to the business through value proposition build (DESIRABLE)
• AI experience: an upstanding of key AI concepts and techniques around optimisation, machine learning to facilitate on-boarding of AI research deliverables into the ETU for productisation (DESIRABLE)
• Competitive salary
• 25 days annual leave (plus bank holidays)
• 10% on target bonus
• Option to join the Healthcare Cash Plan
• Pension scheme
• Shares Plan
• Flexible benefits: cycle to work, childcare vouchers, healthcare, etc.
• Discounted BT products
BT has a key role in British society, fostering change and leading technology innovation. From delivering the Olympics, to supporting the emergency services, to investing more into research than any other UK technology company, we take pride in everything we do - and in the people who work here.
We're now a global company operating at the forefront of the information age, employing 90,000 people in 180 countries. And we're on a mission. Guided by our core values of Personal, Simple and Brilliant our goal is to help customers, communities and businesses overcome barriers and release their potential.
So, if you're interested in the power of potential, why not join us today and release yours? You can read more here about what it's like to work at BT at https://www.btplc.com/Careercentre/lifeatbt/index.htm
How to Apply
It's easy to apply online; you just need a copy of your up-to-date CV and to follow the step-by step process. Don't worry if you need to make changes - you'll have the opportunity to review and edit your work on the final page. We look forward to receiving your application!
Technical qualifications to BSc degree level in Computer Science / Software Engineering or equivalent experience.
Demonstrable experience applying software engineering principles, technologies and frameworks in developing reusable components in a cloud ready paradigm (including REST APIs, micro-service architectures, infrastructure-as-code)
Experience of and enthusiasm for Agile ways of working using TDD methods and Continuous Integration and Delivery
Adaptable, good-humoured, self-driven learner with evidence of new technical skills acquired in the last few years
Hiring manager Alistair McCormick
Recruiter Jason Badger
Job: Research and Development
Title: ETU Specialist Research Professional
Location: GBR %26 Ireland-GBR-Suffolk-Ipswich
Requisition ID: 145838
- BT Jobs