Pearson Senior Storage & DR Engineer in Durham, North Carolina
Senior Storage & DR Engineer - ( 2106481 )
This position is responsible for advanced planning, architecture, design, engineering, coordination, and global standardization in key technological areas. The suitable candidate needs to have at least 8 years of experience and in-depth knowledge of Storage/Backup environments. As part of this senior tech lead role, they are expected to formulate strategy and roadmaps for the storage estate in the data center’s where Pearson Digital Services host its infrastructure.
Key deliverables will be focused on standards, stability, security, efficiency, upgrades, migrations, Disaster Recovery and inter-operability dependencies.
Leadership essentials include excellent written and oral communication, organization and collaboration.
Responsibilities of the individual will be to lead and oversee workloads such as installations, performance, optimization, stability, monitoring and maintenance. They will be ultimately accountable for these areas to ensure attention is followed and an excellent service is delivered to the end customer.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Listed below are the typical duties and responsibilities expected of an individual for the job title described in this document. Other duties may be assigned from time to time based on the business needs.
- In depth knowledge on Storage/Backup technologies such as EMC / Netapp / Brocade / TSM / Veritas Netbackup.
- Work experience with Storage Technologies (EMC, Veritas Netbackup, Brocade, etc)
Strong knowledge of Backup hardware devices such as Tape Library’s / Data Domains.
- In depth knowledge of Backup solutions for different environments like DB, Virt. OS’s
Thorough knowledge on concepts of networking, virtualization, and operating systems.
- Detailed understanding of storage performance, high availability, resilience, and business continuity
- Support Research & Development activities and engage with PoC exercises where applicable to propose improvements
- Mentor and assist team members to achieve correct solutions when complex technical issues arise. Identify training opportunities to bridge gaps in knowledge
- Stay current with Storage/Backup technologies, enhancements, and new features
- Automation and configuration management experience.
- Demonstrable understanding of monitoring, security, and infrastructure components (such as storage, backups, networking, user access, applications, and databases)
- Find ways to automate repetitive tasks and reduce toil across all infrastructure towers
- Build and develop scripts and programs to facilitate the ever-changing infrastructure landscape and provide the agility in accommodating such changes.
- Actively engages and facilitates user community in selecting, implementing, evaluating, trouble-shooting new technology.
- Develop test plans (including cases for functionality, integrity, and stress testing; test matrixes; and definition of test methodologies and test strategy); be responsible for the creation of test platforms, including evaluation of test equipment and design test networks; develop automated test suites for product regression and stress testing
- Works with groups to ensure standards and processes are followed to ensure connect ability throughout the organization.
- Understanding of the infrastructure vision and roadmap.
- Analysis of innovative technology trends and their suitability for deployment at Pearson. Makes final recommendations for implementations to senior IT and business leadership.
- Developing guidelines, specifications of requirements, and implementation guides for new technology.
- Indirect/direct supervisory responsibilities, acting a technical lead to deliver business requirements.
- Expected to provide support on completing and implementing framework level solutions in collaboration with architects and leads.
Able to meet project deadlines and provide support services according to SLAs.
Invest time on R&D activities to come up with the best, simplified and future proof implementation methods.
Identify the opportunities for technology upgrades / replacements, conduct feasibility studies and execute approved proposals.
Translate business objectives into associated requirements.
- Provide input to Product Owners/Service Managers and collaboratively work with them or where appropriate, lead ongoing projects.
- Establishing and actively participating in technical forms to culture a community of learning and development
- Good understanding of ITIL processes including incident, change and problem management
- Ensure company processes, security (CISO) policies, and standards are being adhered to
- Competency with Business Case written proposals for improvements
- Proactively research and locate the necessary tools and processes to identify troublesome trends as they develop; analyze and predict trends and develop a long-range plan designed to resolve problems and prevent them from recurring; maintain high service levels for the user community, and establish a method to easily compare the installation performance against established performance objectives.
- Identify opportunities and recommend solutions for improving service efficiency and effectiveness; participate in IT initiatives to address service issues; keep abreast of technical aspects of Storage/Backup environments; have a working knowledge of department-specific applications; attend seminars and other educational opportunities.
- Assist in setting priorities and managing resources to achieve unit, division, and corporate goals.
- Recommend standards and guidelines as well as specific products as necessary, participating in tool and vendor evaluations.
- Continuously strive to improve client support, identifying opportunities and recommending solutions for improving service efficiency and effectiveness.
- Communicates with departmental and business unit managers, as well as project manager and leaders, to define support initiatives and solutions.
- Develops relationships with professional organizations, peer groups, and industry trade groups to stay current with technology; attends conferences.
- Mentors and shares personal training with other technical engineers in group, particularly on the applications’ possible business applications.
- May develop white papers on technology implementation at Pearson.
- Engage regularly with 3rd party / external support companies that provide maintenance to the infrastructure to ensure that they are delivering services as defined
- Provide mentoring and learning opportunities to Storage/Backup engineering team
- Work closely with team members to help them achieve their annual goals and objectives.
- Be a role model (leading by example) for junior engineers in terms of meeting organization compliance, technical best practices, project management, project milestones and reporting for the benefit of internal and external stakeholders.
Quality, Policies and Standards
- Senior Storage Engineer is expected to maintain, manage, and upgrade Storage/Backup infrastructure according to defined Policies and Standards.
- Practice to meet all organizational wide technical practices and standards - i.e. architectural, security and regulatory.
- Produce and maintain HLD & LLD documentation for Storage/Backup environment
- Propose the appropriate changes to the set standards as required.
- Motivates the responsible teams to ensure that Engineering Best Practices are implemented and followed
- Attends to issues in a timely manner and resolve incidents according to SLA’s.
- Enables timely delivery of assigned projects.
- Facilitates communication between project teams, including engineering status and technical information (architecture, design and implementation objectives).
- Keep Product Owners/ Service Managers apprised of project statuses and escalate any roadblocks or showstoppers to management.
- Provide timely and accurate updates with regular work backlog commentary
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Generally, 8 or more years’ experience providing architectural designs and advanced technology infrastructure/private cloud planning and engineering (hardware and software), and designing, planning, and implementing Cloud.
Competent in information technology management concepts, including technology investment planning. Able to conduct and prepare feasibility studies, develop client proposals, including estimates for cost, time, and resources, prepares statistical reports, and complete cost/benefit analyses for use by other IT engineers and business management.
Knowledge and experience with the business/application function he/she will represent is highly desirable. Senior consultant-level expertise.
Experience in effectively communicating with a broad base of end users and multiple management layers.
Familiarity with Unix and MS Windows systems, with experience in installation and administration of one or more operating systems.
Should understand and be able to implement automation tasks. Requires some proficiency in python and power shell scripting.
Understanding of ITIL and Agile modes of IT management.
Experience applying programmatic techniques in infrastructure contexts, e.g. automated configuration management, low touch deployment and data driven operations.
Experience developing solutions in a collaborative way.
Deep understanding of common application, transport and internet protocols.
Experience working in hybrid-cloud scenarios.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s degree - Computer Science, Engineering, Science, or equivalent experience
Vendor Certifications on relevant technologies (EMC, Netapp, TSM, Veritas, Brocade certifications)
AWS Solutions Architect
Microsoft Configuring & operating a hybrid Cloud with Azure
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Business / Functional Knowledge – understands business drivers and core technology functionality in area of focus.
Customer-focused - establishes and maintains customer relationships; highly skilled in managing customer expectations.
Communication Skills – strong listening, and oral/written communications skills, including the ability to facilitate interactive sessions with business / functional personnel.
Interpersonal Skills – able to interact effectively with senior executive levels, function in a team-driven environment, and manage conflict effectively and constructively.
Results-oriented with creative approach to solving business problems.
Facilitation – skilled facilitator who can lead discussion, focus divergent opinions in order to gain consensus, move development/decision processes forward.
Business Process Improvement and Change Management – awareness and focus on continuous improvement; seeks and is comfortable recommending change.
Primary Location : US-TX-San Antonio
Other Locations : US-NC-Durham
Work Locations :
US-TX-San Antonio-19500 Bulverde
19500 Bulverde Road
Job : Technology
Organization : Technology & Operations
Employee Status : Regular Employee
Job Type : Standard
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Shift : Day Job
Travel : Yes, 25 % of the Time
Job Posting : May 17, 2021
Job Unposting : Ongoing
Schedule: : Full-time Regular
Req ID: 2106481
- Pearson Jobs