Great Southern Bank Commercial Loan Underwriter in Clayton, Missouri
Great Southern Bank is seeking a Commercial Loan Underwriter to work in one of our locations throughout the Midwest. This could include Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas, Iowa, Nebraska, Illinois, Minnesota, Georgia or Colorado.
Come be a part of something greater! Great Southern Bank is committed to fostering an environment where everyone can contribute and succeed at every level. By embracing diversity, we celebrate and value differences in age, outlook, cultural background, lifestyle and physical ability. We offer career opportunities and advancement across a wide range of disciplines. Ranked #1 Forbes Best Bank 2021, come join our team of customer service experts today!
The Commercial Loan Underwriter is responsible for coordinating the loan underwriting and approval activities of the
Commercial Loan Department. This position also assists Loan Officers and Credit Analysts by coaching them through
complex account relationships while maintaining compliance with all lending policies and procedures. Keeps the Managing
Director of Commercial Loan Underwriting informed concerning developments in their area of responsibility, consulting
with them on major decisions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for serving as a resource for all Commercial Loan Officers by assisting them in the underwriting and
structuring process of commercial loans in accordance with Company policies and procedures. This process may
involve evaluating credit-worthiness of potential borrowers, approving credit, or recommending appropriate
action as necessary. This duty is performed about 25% of the time.
- Reviews all loan presentation documentation for complete analysis, clarity, adherence to loan policy, and all
applicable regulations. This duty is performed about 25% of the time.
- Responsible for serving as a resource for all Commercial Loan Officers by being involved in loan discussions with
customers and prospects, especially when dealing with complex account relationships and complex financing
arrangements. This duty is performed about 15% of the time.
- May serve on the Loan Committee and approves loans within authority or if beyond authority, determines
whether the loans should proceed to the next level of approval. This duty is performed about 10% of the time.
- Assists with the regular training of all Credit Analysts, and the training of Commercial Loan Officers regarding
new and timely topics. This duty is performed about 10% of the time.
- Assists Commercial Loan Officers with the development of commitment letters and other credit related
communication for existing and/or prospective customers. This duty is performed about 10% of the time.
- Assists the Commercial Loan Officers with the review and complete documentation of all commercial loan
accounts. This duty is performed about 5% of the time.
- Maintains regular and reliable attendance, punctuality and personal appearance. Reads, writes, and
communicates in a clear and efficient manner via various types of correspondence, such as, in person, phone,
email, letters, etc. Adheres to all company policies and procedures, as well as all applicable banking rules,
regulations, and laws (including BSA/AML).
- Performs any other related duties as required or assigned.
Education and Experience Requirements
• Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting, Business, or related field and/or equivalent relevant work experience,
plus 3 years of related experience in underwriting loans (Commercial & Industrial, Corporate, Business Banking,
and/or Commercial Real Estate).
• Must possess the knowledge and analytical skills necessary to effectively perform the essential functions of this
• Must be extremely detail oriented and have excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Regular use of desktop/laptop computer, basic operating systems, and specialized software systems as well as
• 10-key operation.
• Intermediate experience with alphanumeric data entry, PowerPoint, Excel, and Word Processing
• Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and
decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent.
Occasional travel and some overnight stays are required.
The following physical activities described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to
successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals
with disabilities to perform the essential functions and expectations.
• Semi-repetitive and low physical activities.
• Semi-repetitive type work which requires periods of concentration for varied time cycles as prescribed by the
• While performing the functions of this job, the employee is frequently required to talk or hear; regularly
required to sit, use hands to handle or feel, reach with hands and arms; and occasionally required to stand, walk,
climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
• Occasionally required to lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
Great Southern Bank is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, treating all candidates and employees equitably without regard to race, color, gender, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.
Monday - Friday 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Total Hours: 40
Job Grade: 20