Comcast CommTech 4, Network Maintenance in Chicago, Illinois
Comcast brings together the best in media and technology. We drive innovation to create the world's best entertainment and online experiences. As a Fortune 50 leader, we set the pace in a variety of innovative and fascinating businesses and create career opportunities across a wide range of locations and disciplines. We are at the forefront of change and move at an amazing pace, thanks to our remarkable people, who bring cutting-edge products and services to life for millions of customers every day. If you share in our passion for teamwork, our vision to revolutionize industries and our goal to lead the future in media and technology, we want you to fast-forward your career at Comcast.
Responsible for performing routine troubleshooting calls, surveys,
locates, outage repair, on-call duty, shift work, track/repair CLI,
power supply maintenance, and construction maintenance in accordance
with Comcast procedures and practices. Will be called upon to
troubleshoot and resolve service failures related to any Comcast
products, to include but not be limited to Video (analog and digital,)
Comcast Digital Voice (CDV,) and Comcast High Speed Data (CHSI)
(including Home Networking and Home Plug.)
Employees at all levels are expect to:
- Understand our Operating Principles; make them the guidelines for how
you do your job
- Own the customer experience-think and act in ways that put our
customers first, give them seamless digital options at every touchpoint,
and make them promoters of our products and services
- Know your stuff-be enthusiastic learners, users and advocates of our
game-changing technology, products and services, especially our digital
tools and experiences
- Win as a team-make big things happen by working together and being
open to new ideas
- Be an active part of the Net Promoter System-a way of working that
brings more employee and customer feedback into the company-by joining
huddles, making call backs and helping us elevate opportunities to do
better for our customers
- Drive results and growth
- Respect and promote inclusion and diversity
- Do what's right for each other, our customers, investors and our
- Performs routine troubleshooting calls: troubleshoots the plant
through the distribution cable to the node in order to restore customer
video, CHSI, or CDV as required. Must have the ability climb poles,
ladders and operate aerial lifts 18 to 20 feet above ground, as
determined by the system's requirements. Must possess the ability to use
basic cable test equipment. Performs work near power lines and
- Surveys the plant in order to ensure service availability to potential
- Performs underground location of existing plant using system prints
and cable locating equipment in order to prevent cable damage and
service interruption. Must have the ability to read general system
layouts from blueprints.
- Responds to and repairs service interruptions during regular business
hours, shift work or when "on-call" as required. Normal work shift may
include evenings and/or weekends; may include 10 hour days for 4 days a
week. Must be available to work overtime including weekends, evenings
- Performs CLI ride-out and track and repair leakage, as necessary.
Works and travels in inclement weather.
- Performs construction maintenance duties such as: splices
aerial/underground coaxial cable and equipment to restore cable plant to
system specification; splices and activates new coaxial plant as
required; repairs and/or replace damaged aerial/underground plant; and
inspects, repairs and/or replaces power supplies as necessary. Must have
the ability to use basic cable installation tools and hand tools. Must
have the ability to comply with safety procedures and requirements.
Lifts and carries loads of 70 lbs. or more.
- During the course of normal day-to-day activities: cleans, maintains
and stocks vehicle and equipment in order to be prepared for daily
responsibilities; completes associated paperwork with each job in a
timely manner; properly operate and maintain tools and equipment;
reports need for vehicle repair or service when required and/or
prescribed; and reports any accidents, losses, injuries or property
damage to supervisor and customer when appropriate. Drives company
vehicle in a safe and responsible manner.
- Reviews all requested services with the customer in order to ensure
understanding and agreement; survey the installation route and review
proposed route with the customer in order to obtain agreement on the
location of cable outlet(s.) Exposure to dogs and other animals,
construction areas, and the public in general as required.
- Pre-wires single dwelling units and multiple dwelling units (MDUs) in
order to provide "ready hook-up" capabilities at the time of occupancy.
Works in crawl spaces, attics, and permit required confined spaces.
Exposure to moderate noise level.
- Performs multi-product reconnects, requested and non-pay disconnects,
and additional outlets for residential and residential-like products.
Installs and removes set-top box and/or eMTA in order to provide
customer with upgrades or downgrades in service. Must possess knowledge
of basic mathematics, the ability to count and handle U.S. currency, and
the ability to communicate with customers in a clear and straight
- Performs multi-product service calls for residential and residential-
like products. Troubleshoots the forward and return path in the drop
from the tap to the customer's equipment for multiple services. Must
possess the ability to prioritize and organize effectively.
- Performs wall fish as required by the market (optional not included
in national certification). Performs multi-product installations for
residential and residential-like products, complete from tap to customer
equipment in single and multiple family dwellings including prewired
units; perform installations adhering to Comcast procedures and safe
work practices, NEC and NESC requirements, and local ordinances in order
to provide services to the customer. Installations could include but
not be limited to the following: Video (analog and digital; home
theater); Comcast Digital Voice (CDV) and/or other Voice services;
Comcast High-Speed Data (CHSI) (Home Networking and Home Plug);
Teleworker; Comcast Workplace (Internet)f. Workplace Digital Voice (WDV)
standard; Commercial Video. Manipulates connectors, fasteners, wire; use
hand tools. Must have vision ability of: close vision, peripheral
vision, ability to adjust focus and differentiate colors.
- Possesses knowledge of the National Electrical Code (NEC,) the
National Electrical Safety Code (NESC,) the Occupational Safety and
Health Act (OSHA,) Federal Communications Commission (FCC,)
Environmental Protection Agency (EPA,) Department of Transportation
(DOT,) American National Standards Institute (ANSI,) and various state
and local codes including G.O. 95 and G.O. 128, (when applicable.)
- Inspects existing bond/ground to ensure compliance with Comcast and
National Electrical Code (NEC) requirements; make new ground as required
in order to protect employees, customers, and equipment from electrical
shock or damage.
- Checks in each job in a timely manner in order to ensure all details
of the work are recorded for entry in the customer's account once the
work is complete. Completes associated paperwork with each work order,
as required. Must be able to work while standing 50-70% of the time.
- Works within manufacturer's rated weight capacity for all equipment,
including but not limited to ladders and aerial lifts.
- Determines acceptability of video, data, and voice services by
reviewing television picture quality and PC and modem connection
following any installation or work on cable services to provide the best
possible service for the customer. Educates the customer on the CDV
service and voice mail. Conduct CDV test call. Demonstrates CHSI service
and educate customer on how to connect to the service, home page,
national and local content, and web browsing using URL(s,) etc. Must
possess the ability to manipulate objects such as pens, keyboard and
- Provides the customer with the Comcast Welcome Kit and materials
regarding channel line up, use of set-top box, modem, and/or eMTA and
company policies as they relate to the customer as well as demonstrate
these skills in order to educate the customer on the use of the
equipment, products, and services, and company guidelines.
- Provides information on available services to new and existing
customers in order to sell additional services and attempt to upgrade
- Performs standard home theater installations associated with video
installations. Must have knowledge of policies and procedures for
- Must have fifteen months cable telecommunications (and/or broadband)
or similar experience. Possesses: knowledge of cable television products
and services, basic knowledge of cable system operations, basic
knowledge of a cable system overview, and basic knowledge of the history
of cable and Comcast.
- Must have knowledge of components on the PC desktop and ability to
perform the following: launch an application; add a shortcut; log into
and navigate through a dial-up or other internet service; install
software like Microsoft Internet Explorer, Netscape Communicator,
Microsoft Windows, MS Office applications, educational software or
games; navigate through a file system via the DOS prompt or window
interface; access the Control Panel to configure components such as a
printer, modem, and monitor.
- Must possess knowledge of PC hardware, software and the Internet and
the ability to troubleshoot and resolve related service failures.
- Regular, consistent and punctual att
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer