Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Civilian Pay Technician in Salisbury, North Carolina
Vacancy Identification Number (VIN) 1999385
OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincolns promise To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan by serving and honoring the men and women who are Americas Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
As a VA professional, your opportunities are endless. With many openings in the multiple functions of VA, you will have a wide range of opportunities and leadership positions at your fingertips. Not only is it the largest, most technologically advanced integrated health care system in the Nation, but we also provide many other services to Veterans through the Benefits Administration and National Cemeteries. VA professionals feel good about their careers and their ability to balance work and home life. VA offers generous paid time off and a variety of predictable and flexible scheduling opportunities. For more information on the Department of Veterans Affairs, go to http://www.vacareers.va.gov/"
Special Employment Consideration:VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply, including those eligible for hiring under 5 CFR 213.3102(u), Schedule A, Appointment of persons with disabilities [i.e., intellectual disabilities, severe physical disabilities, or psychiatric disabilities], and/or Disabled veterans with a compensable service-connected disability of 30% or more.
For more information on the Who may apply eligibility requirements, please refer to the OHRM Status Candidates and Other Candidate Definitions document.
This position is locating in Fiscal Service Line, VA Medical Center, Salisbury, NC.
The primary purpose of this position is to process, review, and reconcile a full range of official payroll actions for employees under various payroll systems. The systems are classified as General Schedule, Wage Board, VCS Canteen, and Title 38 and each is unique as to the various entitlements of leave, basic pay and premium pay.
- Performs work related in determining pay, maintaing payroll records, and completing related reports pertaining to civilian employees of the Federal Government.
- Evaluates and interprets conflicting system information to get correct resolution to difficult and unique situations.
- Reviews personnel documents and coding actions entered by Human Resources relating to proposed personnel appointment change, pay adjustments, reassignments, awards, separation actions, extended leave without pay, or return to duty which affect the pay of employees for proper application of pay regulations and consistency.
- Applies pay and leave laws, rules, regulations, and agency policy regarding entitlements to overtime, differentials, hazardous duty, holiday and special rates, premium pay, allowances, etc., which at times involve conflicting requirements.
- Reviews appropriate documents and codes the appropriate input into an integrated personnel and fiscal automated system to properly update employees' master record.
- Contacts the Human Resource Assistant and/or Service Time and Leave Clerk and informs or required changes, resubmission(s) and/or corrections to resolve problem and prevent rejection(s).
- The incumbent provides customer support in person, on the phone, via e-mail, and hard copy mail.
- Answers, handles, and provides written and verbal inquires from employees and supervisors concerning pay and leave issues.
- Manages the Leave Donor Program, Advanced Sick Leave and Advanced Annual Leave Programs as well as extended Military Leave.
- Gathers information from all necessary systems and reports, to provide recommendations to the Service Chief on employees requesting a debt waiver.
- Audits timekeepers' timecard records for appropriate posting in accordance with government regulations and for training received.
- Trains time keeper staff and supervisors on their responsibilities regarding employee elcotronic timecards.
- Provides advice and training to MyPay system users. *Work Schedule: *Monday - Friday (8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.)
Position Description Title/PD#: 1374A Civilian Pay Technician
- Not Required
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
Status Candidates (Merit Promotion and VEOA Eligibles)
Questions? This job is open to 2 groups.
- You must be a U.S. citizen to apply for this job.
- Subject to a background/suitability investigation.
- Designated and/or random drug testing may be required.
- Time-in-grade must be met by the closing date.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
To qualify for this position, applicants must meet all requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
Specialized Experience: Applicants must have One year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade (GS-06) in the normal line of progression for the occupation in the organization. Examples of specialized experience would typically include, but are not limited to: Processing, reviewing and reconciling a full range of official payroll actions for employees under various payroll systems; Instructing timekeepers, and supervisors in timekeeping; among the other duties listed in the vacancy announcements.
Applicants may substitute graduate education for the experience required for the GS-06 level, only in those few cases instances where the graduate education is directly related to the work of the position.
Applicants may also combine education and experience to qualify at the GS-06 level. To calculate, first identify the percentage of required education you have earned (when substituting, you cannot use the first 60 semester hours that you earned). Then identify the percentage of required experience you possess. Add the two percentages. The total percentage must equal at least 100 percent to qualify at the GS-06. For example, an applicant who has 9 semester hours of graduate level education (i.e. 50% of graduate education required) and 6 months of creditable specialized experience (i.e. 50% of the required experience) would equal 100% of the required experience for the position
A transcript must be submitted with your application if you are basing all or part of your qualifications on education.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
Physical Requirements:The incumbent performs sedentary work while sitting comfortably. The work may require some physical effort such as standing, walking, bending, or carrying of light items. The level of stress can be high due to the need for a high degree of accuracy and demanding nature of employees with pay issues seeking resolution.
Time-in-grade: Applicants who are current Federal employees and have held a GS grade any time in the past 52 weeks must also meet time-in-grade requirements. For a GS-06 position you must have served 52 weeks at the GS-05 level.
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
Af*ter we receive application packages (including all required documents) and the vacancy announcement closes, we will review applications to ensure qualification and eligibility requirements are met. During our review, if your résumé and application package do not support your questionnaire answers, we will adjust your rating accordingly. After the review is complete, a referral certificate(s) is issued and applicants will be notified of their status by email (if provided); otherwise, applicants will receive a notification letter via the U.S. Postal Service. Referred applicants will be notified as such and may be contacted directly by the hiring office for an interview. All referred applicants receive a final notification once a selection decision has been made. *
You may check the status of your application at any time by logging into your USAJOBS account and clicking on Application Status. For a more detailed update of your status, click on more information. Information regarding applicant notification points can be found in the USAJobs Resource Center.
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides is an overview of the benefits currently offered: http://www.vacareers.va.gov/why-choose-va/benefits/index.asp.
VA supports the use of telework as a way to help attract and retain talented individuals in public service, increase worker productivity, and better prepare the agency to operate during emergencies. This position may be authorized for telework. Telework eligibility will be discussed during the interview process.
The Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) and Career Transition Assistance Plan CTAP)provide eligible displaced Federal competitive service employees with selection priority over other candidates for competitive service vacancies. To be qualified you must submit appropriate documentation and be found well-qualified (have a final rating of 85 or more before any Veterans preference points) for this vacancy. Information about ICTAP and CTAP eligibility is on OPM's Career Transition Resources website.
Receiving Service Credit for Earning Annual (Vacation) Leave : Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. VA may offer newly-appointed Federal employee's credit for their job-related non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which they earn annual leave. Such credit must be requested and approved prior to the appointment date and is not guaranteed.
Placement Policy: The posting of this announcement does not obligate management to fill a vacancy or vacancies by promotion. The position may be filled by reassignment, change to lower grade, transfer, appointment, or reinstatement. Management may use any one or any combination of these methods to fill the position.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/476901600. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 2017-08-11 to 2017-08-31
Salary: $36,799 to $47,842 / per year
Pay scale & grade: GS 06
Series: 0544 Civilian Pay
Appointment type: Permanent
Work schedule: Full Time
Job announcement number: VHA-659-17-VB-1999385-BU
Control number: 476901600