Northwell Health Coordinator, Medical Records in New Hyde Park, New York
Req Number 001FIO
Job Category Medical Clerical/Secretarial
The COORDINATOR, MEDICAL RECORDS coordinates various medical record functions: acquisition and distribution, chart analysis, discharge coding, correspondence processing, quality audits, etc. Facilitates the even work-flow throughout functional areas.
Coordinates department acquisition and logging of medical records for all discharged patients.
Audits various patient logs and reports to ensure accuracy of medical record distribution functions. Follows up on inconsistencies, as required.
Facilitates the review of medical records for deficiencies and proper assembly based on established policies and procedures.
Collaborates with appropriate clinical departments to resolve various record deficiencies, and close files according to regulatory guidelines.
Reviews and updates medical records with coding deficiencies. Codes discharges utilizing the ICD-10-CM coding classification system.
Coordinates the processing of correspondence requests for patient information from various internal and external parties, ensuring requests are responded to in efficient manner and
Ensures all processes are entered into department computer system for tracking and recordkeeping purposes.
Conducts regular quality audits of medical records. Presents results to management, related committees and meetings.
Participates in staff educational activities to optimize department performance.
Coordinates various department projects (records distribution to off-site storage facilities, microfilming, compliance audits, etc.), as required.
Gathers and generates reports on various department metrics for review by management.
Recommends processes and procedures to improve departmental performance.
Assists in maintaining department supply inventory.
Performs related duties as required.
• Associate’s Degree in related field, required.
• Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) certification, preferred, as required by the service line.
• Minimum of two (2) years related work experience in medical record handling or enrollment and successful completion of Northwell Health’s EMSL Medical Record Review Certification program within 6 months as required by the service line.
• Working knowledge of ICD-10-DM coding system, preferred.
• Knowledge of basic health information management