Northwell Health Pathology Assistant in Mount Kisco, New York
Req Number 001EMB
Job Category Laboratory
Assists Pathologists with post mortem examinations, organ preparation, dissection and evisceration. In addition, works with frozen section tissue and intraoperative consultation requests. Assists in instructing residents/fellows on procedural and technical skills related to surgical pathology.
· Assists in the training of surgical pathology and autopsy techniques and procedures to residents and fellows. Assists in training of surgical pathology specimens inclusive of gross dissection, reporting, and submission for histologic processing to pathology residents and fellows. Assists in training pathology residents and fellows with frozen section procedures and special procedures. Assists in training pathology residents and fellows with accurate block selection and appropriate sampling of lesions and pertinent normal/ negative findings. Assists in training pathology residents and fellows with selecting appropriate ancillary testing and special autopsy procedures. Assists in training pathology residents and fellows with correlation between preliminary and final autopsy diagnosis. Educates Residents/Fellows utilizing departmental case presentations and conferences.
· Performs professional duties associated with the preparation and performance of autopsy pathology and post-mortem examination. Assists in the performance of an autopsy examination by ascertaining proper legal authorization. Obtains and reviews the patient’s chart and other clinical data and studies. Initiates procedures when resolving problems related to proper clearance and consent for autopsy. Confers with the pathologists to identify special techniques or procedures that are required (immunopathology, electron microscopy). Participates in post-mortem prosection, evisceration and subsequent dissection. Obtains specimens for biological and toxicologic analysis.
· Performs specialized procedures including frozen sections, histological procedures and special procedures. Prepares tissue for frozen sections utilizing histologic procedures. Participates in conduct of frozen section examinations. Selects and preserves tissue for special studies to include immunopathology, electron microscopy, special stains and flow cytometry. Prepares and processes frozen section tissue in a timely manner consistent with CAP standards.
· Prepares surgical pathology specimens. Ensures appropriate specimen accessioning, pertinent clinical information and studies. Dissects surgical specimens while describing the gross anatomic features and ensuring proper submission for histologic processing. Obtains and submits specimens for additional ancillary procedures (immunostaining, flow cytometry). Dissects and processes frozen section specimens for evaluation by an Attending Pathologist. Assists Pathologists with eviscerations and obtaining appropriate sections for microscopic examination. Photographs all pertinent gross specimens and microscopic slides
· Serves as liaison between the laboratory and staff physicians, lab sections and department heads. Collaborates with hospital physicians, lab sections and department heads on pertinent matters in order to maintain quality service.
· Assists in the conduct of quality assurance within Pathology. Monitors safety compliance. Monitors quality/assurance activities and records.
· Performs related duties, as required.
*ADA Essential Functions
· Bachelor’s Degree from a Pathologist Assistant training program or related field, required.
· Previous related experience including surgical pathology, autopsy dissection, histology procedures/techniques, gross dissection of surgical specimens, frozen sections and post-mortem examinations, preferred.
· Excellent communication skills and ability to work independently, required.