Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Registered Nurse (RN), 4A General Medicine in Madison, Wisconsin
Vacancy Identification Number (VIN): 1998515
OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
The William S. Middleton Memorial Veterans Hospital in Madison, WI ( http://www.madison.va.gov/) is a 129 bed facility that provides tertiary medical, surgical, neurological, and psychiatric care, and a full range of outpatient services. This facility serves 130,000 Veterans who live in 15 counties in south-central Wisconsin and in five counties in northwestern Illinois. The Madison VAMC is also the specialty care referral center for an additional 57,000 Veterans who reside in the Tomah VAMC primary service area, is affiliated with the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health, and is physically connected to the University of Wisconsin Clinical Science Center which includes the UW Hospitals and Clinics, and supports a Vet Center in Madison.
Madison VAMC is responsible for community based outpatient clinics (CBOCs) at Janesville, Baraboo, Beaver Dam, WI, and Rockford and Freeport, IL and a primary care annex at Madison West Clinic, and is one of eight facilities that comprise Veterans Integrated Services Network 12 (VISN12) which is administratively headquartered at Hines, IL, and includes facilities in Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan, Indiana and Minnesota.
AREA OF CONSIDERATION: 1. CURRENT PERMANENT EMPLOYEES OF THE AGENCY FOR WHICH THE POSITION IS BEING ADVERTISED.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
NOTE: The Professional Standards Board (a peer-review group) will review the selected candidate's education and experience and recommend the step at which the candidate will be placed in that specific grade. The salary is based on the grade and step approved for the selected candidate.
Recruitment/Relocation Incentive is not authorized.
There is a Part Time (66 hours per pay period) Registered Nurse (RN) position available on 4A within the Nursing Services, Inpatient Care Service at the William S Middleton VA Medical Center, Madison, WI.
Unit 4A is a 20 bed general medical unit. This adult/geriatric patient population includes a wide variety of diagnostic illnesses, such as cancer, diabetes, alcohol abuse with cirrhosis, respiratory, cardiac, digestive, renal and hematologic disorders. Telemetry beds are available for patients monitored by 4B nursing staff. Outpatients requiring blood transfusions, IV antibiotics, and chemotherapy receive their therapies on 4!. Many patients have multiple diagnosis and/or sensory impairments. Average length of stay (ALOS) is 4 days. The most commonly used nursing diagnoses are: alteration of comfort, alteration in breathing pattern, ineffective fluid volume, alteration in thought processes, alteration in knowledge deficit and injury and potential for falls.
Nursing care is provided on a 24-hour basis by registered nurses, and health technicians/nursing assistants. The nursing process of assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation is applied on an ongoing systematic manner to all patients. Unit 4A provides acute and rehabilitation nursing care and is intricately involved in the intra-disciplinary approach in meeting patient needs. Patients typically receive diagnostic testing, multiple IV/PO medications, blood products, chemotherapy, analgesics for pain relief, respiratory care and bowel management. Post-hospital care planning is an integral part of the nursing practice on 4A. A multidisciplinary approach for teaching and discharge planning assures continuity of care for all patients.
Work Schedule: Rotating Shifts to include weekends and holidays
Functional Statement Title/#: General Medical Registered Nurse
YOU MUST INCLUDE VA FORM 10-2850A INYOUR APPLICATION PACKAGE TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS VACANCY. Available at: http://www.va.gov/vaforms/searchaction.asp?FormNo=10-2850&tkey=&Action=Search
- Not Required
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
Open to current, permanent Madison VA and/or Madison CBOC Employees.
Questions? This job is open to 1 group.
- Must pass pre-employment examination.
- Designated and/or Random Drug Testing required.
- Background and/or Security Investigation required.
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- U.S. citizenship. Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
- The completion of course work equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6)
Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia. Grade Determinations: The following criteria must be met in determining the grade assignment of candidates, and if appropriate, the level within a grade:
Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience; OR a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (BSN) with no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
Physical Requirements: Walking, bending, stooping, and some lifting in the direct care of patients. There may also be extended periods of sitting.
This position is not required to file a financial disclosure.
What To Expect Next
After we receive application packages (including all required documents) and the vacancy announcement closes, we will review applications to ensure qualification and eligibility requirements are met. During our review, if your résumé and application package do not support your questionnaire answers, we will adjust your rating accordingly. After the review is complete, a referral certificate(s) is issued and applicants will be notified of their status by email (if provided); otherwise, applicants will receive a notification letter via the U.S. Postal Service. Referred applicants will be notified as such and may be contacted directly by the hiring office for an interview. All referred applicants receive a final notification once a selection decision has been made.
You may check the status of your application at any time by logging into your USAJOBS account and clicking on Application Status. For a more detailed update of your status, click on more information. Information regarding applicant notification points can be found in the USAJobs Resource Center.
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides an overview of the benefits currently offered: http://www.vacareers.va.gov/why-choose-va/benefits/index.asp.
Annual leave shall accrue for part-time employees at rate of 1 hour for each 10 hours in a pay status. Sick leave shall accrue for part-time employees at the rate of 1 hour for each 20 hours in a pay status.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/476707400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 2017-08-11 to 2017-08-24
Salary: $59,818 to $118,659 / per year
Pay scale & grade: AD 00
Series: 0610 Nurse
Appointment type: Agency Employees Only
Work schedule: Part Time 66 hours
Job announcement number: MA-17-ML-1998515-BU
Control number: 476707400