Defense Finance and Accounting Service Financial Systems Specialist in Columbus, Ohio
About the Agency
**This Job Opportunity Announcement is using an additional online assessment tool to evaluate applicants. Please review the HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED, HOW TO APPLY and WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT sections below for instructions.
Defense Finance and Accounting Services (DFAS) mission is to lead the DoD in finance and accounting by ensuring the delivery of efficient, exceptional quality pay and financial information. We take pride in serving the men and women who defend America. DFAS is seeking goal-oriented people who like a challenge and care about serving our country. We offer rewarding careers in finance, accounting, information systems, contracting services, human resources, clerical work and many other areas. For more information visit www.dfas.mil Vacancy Information: This position is located in DFAS - Columbus, OH.
The duties described reflect the full performance level of this position.
- Researches, analyzes and assists in resolving daily system problems related to the supported operational system (contract, vendor, travel, or other payment systems), interface systems, databases, and processing cycle issues.
- Monitors changes and work-around procedures for daily and monthly processing schedules and notifies operating elements and external customers of changes, delays, and cycle cancelations,
- Coordinates the development and maintenance of standard personal computer database applications and provides technical guidance for the identification of system requirements and the revision of existing applications.
- Recommends system improvements and develops straight-forward data management applications when necessary.
- Provides technical guidance and support for various electronic commerce initiatives, any other programs or future technologies that may be developed.
- For vacancies filled at less than the full performance level of the position, duties will be developmental in nature.
- Occasional Travel
- You may be expected to travel for this position.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
All US citizens.
Questions? This job is open to 1 group.
- U.S. Citizenship or National
- Background Investigation
- Suitable for Federal Employment
- Registered for Selective Service (if applicable)
- Obtain/MaintainFinancial Management Certification
- Shift Work
One year of specialized experience equivalent in level of difficulty and responsibility to that of the next lower grade within the federal service, which demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position, is required.
GS-07: Specialized experience equivalent to the GS-05 grade level in the Federal service providing routine data analysis and automated financial systems support in support of an organization's finance mission.
GS-07 positions: SUBSTITUTION OF EDUCATION FOR SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE:One full year of graduate level education or superior academic achievement (SAA) may be substituted to meet the specialized experience requirement. Such education must demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to do the work. Equivalent combinations of successfully completed graduate level education and experience may be used to meet total experience requirements.
GS-09: Specialized experience equivalent to the GS-07 grade level in the Federal service performing financial systems analysis in support of finance mission and applying knowledge of financial management principles as they relate to automated financial systems processing and operations.
GS-09 positions: SUBSTITUTION OF EDUCATION FOR SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: A Master's or equivalent graduate degree or 2 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree or LL.B. or J.D. may be substituted to meet the specialized experience requirement. Such education must demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to do the work. Equivalent combinations of successfully completed graduate level education and experience may be used to meet total experience requirements.
GS-11:Specialized experience equivalent to the GS-09 grade level in the Federal service performing complex data analysis and evaluation of financial systems, policies, procedures, and regulations to ensure the continuity of a financial system's operations.
GS-11 positions: SUBSTITUTION OF EDUCATION FOR SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: A Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree or 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree or LL.M. may be substituted to meet the specialized experience requirement. Such education must demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to do the work. Equivalent combinations of successfully completed graduate level education and experience may be used to meet total experience requirements.
Volunteer Experience: Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual, community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Background or Security Investigation: This is a non-criticalsensitive position. Employment in this position requires a background investigation which may delay your starting date. If you are selected and cannot obtain a favorable security determination within a reasonable period of time due to disclosed or undisclosed background issues, the employment offer may be withdrawn. Individuals selected for this position are required to obtain and maintain a favorable security determination to occupy a sensitive position within the agency as a condition of employment. Failure to maintain eligibility to occupy a sensitive position may result in termination. For more information see the security section of Understanding Vacancy Announcements
What To Expect Next
If you meet the minimum qualifications of this position, you may be presented with instructions on how to access the USA Hire Competency Based Assessments system. These additional online assessments must be completed within 48 hours following the close of this announcement unless you have requested Reasonable Accommodation for the USA Hire Competency Based Assessments. Your results will be kept on record for one year when applying for future jobs that require the same USA Hire Competency Based Assessments. The occupational questionnaire and the resume that you submit will be used to assess your qualifications for the job, and to identify the best qualified applicants to be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interviews. We will notify you of the outcome after each of these steps has been completed. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability/security background investigation. Application of Veterans Preference:The Category Rating Method does not add veterans' preference points or apply the "rule of three," but protects the rights of veterans by placing them ahead of non-preference eligibles within each category. Preference eligible's who meet minimum qualification requirements and who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10 percent must be listed in the highest quality category, except when the position being filled is scientific or professional at the GS-9 grade level or higher. A selecting official may make selections from the highest quality category (Best Qualified) provided no preference eligible in that category is passed over to select a non-preference eligible in that category unless the requirements of 5 U.S.C. 3317(b) or 3318(b) are satisfied.
All information included in the resume and Occupational Questionnaire is subject to review and verification. HR will review your resume and supporting documentation to ensure you meet the minimum qualification requirements. Applicants meeting the minimum requirements will be further evaluated by information provided in the Occupational Questionnaire. If, after reviewing your resume and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have misrepresented your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position and, if you're already an employee, you may be subject to disciplinary action up to and including removal from Federal service.
Review our benefits
- A two year probationary or trial period may be required.
- Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) Priority Consideration: If you are a displaced Federal Civil Service employee and attain a rating of at least 85 or are placed into the middle quality level category of "Highly Qualified" under category rating procedures, you may be entitled to receive special priority selection under the ICTAP. For more information on ICTAP, click here ICTAP Guidance. NOTE: If you have never worked for the Federal Government, you are NOT*ICTAP* eligible.
- Reasonable Accommodation Requests: If you believe you have a disability (i.e., physical or mental), covered by the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 as amended and Americans with Disabilities Act 1990 as amended, that would interfere with completing the USA Hire Competency Based Assessments, you will be granted the opportunity to request a reasonable accommodation in your online application. Requests for Reasonable Accommodations for the USA Hire Competency Based Assessments and appropriate supporting documentation for Reasonable Accommodation must be received prior to starting the USA Hire Competency Based Assessments. Decisions on requests for Reasonable Accommodations are made on a case-by-case basis. If you meet the minimum qualifications of the position, after notification of the adjudication of your request, you will receive an email invitation to complete the USA Hire Competency Based Assessments. You must complete all assessments within 48 hours of receiving the URL to access the USA Hire Competency Based Assessments. To determine if you need a Reasonable Accommodation, please review the Procedures for Requesting a Reasonable Accommodation for Online Assessments here: https://help.usastaffing.gov/Apply/images/1/14/USAHireReasonableAccommodationFAQs-01-26-17.pdf.
- This position requires you to obtain and maintain a Level 2 Certification under the DoD Financial Management (FM) Certification Program as a condition of employment. If you are selected, you will have to obtain this certification within two (2) years of your entry on duty in the position unless you are already in a position that requires a Level 2 Certification in which case you must complete the certification within the original 2-year period. Failure to become certified within the required time-frame may be grounds for removal from the position and/or from Federal service. Information about the DoD FM Certification Program is available at Selections are subject to restrictions resulting from the DoD Program for Stability of Civilian Employment.
- This position requires shift work that may include 1st, 2nd or 3rd shift and some weekends and holidays.
If you are unable to apply online, view the following link for information regarding Alternate Application.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/476859800. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 2017-08-11 to 2017-08-24
Salary: $41,897 to $80,603 / per year
Pay scale & grade: GS 7 - 11
Series: 0501 Financial Administration And Program
Appointment type: Permanent
Work schedule: Full-Time
Job announcement number: D-DFAS-10037226-17
Control number: 476859800