Department Of Energy Assistant Manager, Office of the National TRU Program in Carlsbad, New Mexico
About the Agency
Open to current permanent Federal employees in the competitive/excepted service & CTAP/ICTAP
Also being advertised to all citizens via Delegated Examining procedures under announcement EM-17-CB-00016-EXC
Position is located in the Office Environmental Management (EM) Carlsbad Field Office (CBFO). The U.S. Department of Energy’s CBFO has responsibility for the Waste Isolation Pilot Plant (WIPP) and the National Transuranic (TRU) Program (NTP). WIPP is located in the Chihuahuan Desert of southeastern New Mexico, approximately 26 miles east of Carlsbad, NM. Visit Carlsbad, NM at: www.cityofcarlsbadnm.com. WIPP occupies approximately 28 square kilometers (16 square miles). The facility is used to store TRU waste left over from nuclear weapons research/testing operations from our past defense activities. Project facilities include disposal rooms mined 2150 feet underground in a 2000 foot thick salt formation. See more at: www.wipp.energy.gov or Youtube for: “The WIPP Experience”. Come join us in our mission to provide safe, compliant, and efficient characterization, transportation, and disposal of defense-related TRU waste.
The primary purpose of this position is to serve as the Assistant Manager of the Office of the NTP and as the senior CBFO management official responsible for compliance and programmatic mission to reduce national risk by safely, effectively and securely packaging, certifying and transporting compliant TRU waste from generator sites around the country and permanently emplacing it in a deep geologic repository (WIPP). The NTP is the overall owner and integrator of the National TRU Program including its national and international integration. Responsibilities will primarily be performed through government prime contracts and cooperative agreements, which include planning, scheduling, integrating and executing mission scope.
This is an Excepted Service position. This appointment will not confer Competitive Service career-conditional or career tenure status. This means that if you are selected, you would have to compete with other applicants in open competition to meet requirements for another Federal position, unless you meet the requirements for reinstatement. Applicants who voluntarily convert from the competitive service, Senior Executive Service, or other pay systems to a non-time limited appointment under this excepted service authority are not afforded "fallback rights" to the pay system previously assigned prior to conversion.
As the Assistant Manager for the Office of the NTP, you will:
- Plan, direct and manage the Office of the National TRU Program.
- Serve as a CBFO National TRU Program (NTP) and National TRU Waste Program (NTWP) expert.
- Appraise program management and provide guidance to management effective problem resolution.
- Oversee the effective and efficient delivery of TRU packages.
- Plan and conduct appraisals and surveillances of contractor performance to determine adequacy and provide recommendations for process improvements.
- Develop, manage and implement the CBFO central characterization program to ensure compliance with requirements.
- Develop, manage and implement programs and processes to verify and ensure compliance with the safety analysis for each waste package.
- Plan, coordinate and negotiate shipping corridors and interface with the Office of the Governor in each state and related governmental organizations along the shipping routes. To view the position description, go to http://www.wipp.energy.gov/Careers.htm.
- Occasional Travel
- Overnight travel 1-5 nights per month is required
- Relocation expenses or incentive may be paid in accordance with applicable Federal Travel Regulations, pending funding availability
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
Current Federal employees who hold a permanent position in the competitive or excepted service and CTAP/ICTAP eligibles.
Questions? This job is open to 2 groups.
- You must be a United States Citizen.
- This employer participates in the e-Verify program.
- See "Other Information" section regarding Selective Service requirements.
- Security clearance and drug testing are required.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS A qualified candidate's online application and resume must demonstrate at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the next lower pay band (at least grade level GS-13 equivalent) in the Federal service. Specialized experience for this position is defined as:
- Demonstrated experience in program management, contractor oversight, contract managemnent and risk management;
- Experience applying team lead or supervisory personnel management responsibilities;
- Experience with plans, policy and procdure development and coordinating with senior level officials to accomplish shared or similar goals; and
- Experience analyzing resource requirements to determine optimal allocations. Your application and resume should demonstrate that you possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs). You are NOT required to provide a separate narrative written response. Rather, you must describe in your application how your past work experience demonstrates that you possess the KSAs identified below.
- Expert knowledge of a wide range of qualitative and quantitative methods for the assessment and improvement of program effectiveness sufficient to manage major programs and projects.
- Expert knowledge of existing and proposed environmental Federal legislation, policies, and guidelines including RCRA and their impact on waste management activities.
- Knowledge of environmental safety health and quality programs, principles and methodologies sufficient to plan, manage, guide and advise on safety requirements, and associated operations functions.
- Expertise to manage resource requirements, develop schedules and milestones, apply fiscal and administrative policies, procedures, and practices sufficient to manage technical programs.
"Experience" refers to paid and unpaid experience. Examples of qualifying unpaid experience may include: volunteer work done through National Service programs (such as Peace Corps and AmeriCorps); as well as work for other community-based philanthropic and social organizations. Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills; and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
You must meet all qualifications and eligibility requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
This position does not have a positive education requirement, but a technical degree is highly desired.**
OTHER REQUIREMENTS: This position requires the completion of a Confidential Financial Disclosure Statement, OGE-450, and annually thereafter. This position is a Drug Testing Designated Position and requires testing prior to appointment and randomly thereafter. Background and/or Security Investigation is required. As a condition of appointment to this position, you will be subject to pre-employment/pre-appointment testing for illegal drug use under the U.S. Department of Energy Employee Drug Plan. If selected you will be provided information regarding drug testing. Failure to undergo testing or positive findings resulting from the test will eliminate you from further consideration for this position. If selected for and appointed to this position you will be subject to random drug testing while employed. This position is designated Key Essential and Emergency Essential. Shift work and overtime may be required. New supervisors are required to complete 80 hours of supervisory training of which 40 hours must be completed during your first year as a supervisor. This position requires a one-year supervisory probationary period.
Q - Sensitive
What To Expect Next
After each step in the recruitment process, your status will be updated in our application tracking system. Once this happens, if you have elected to receive e-mail updates, you will be notified through your USAJOBS registered e-mail address. If you have not elected for e-mail updates, you can review your current application status in USAJOBS at any time. Please check that your USAJOBS profile contact information is current and correct each time you apply to a job--this will ensure we are able to contact you as quickly as possible. In addition to changing your status online, we will send you e-mail notifications at each major step in the process, to include: application received, eligible or not eligible, referred or not referred, selected or not selected.
Review our benefits
- The U.S. Department of Energy fosters a diverse and inclusive workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Veterans and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, please visit the links at the bottom of this page or visit the FedsHireVets website.
- This position requires completion of a one (1) year probationary/trial period unless previously served.
- This positions require successful completion of a background investigation.
- All males born after December 31st 1959 must abide by laws regarding Selective Service registration. To learn more about this law, visit the Selective Service web page, Who Must Register. If you are not registered and don't have an approved exemption, you will not be eligible for employment with the Federal government. EEO Policy: https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/EEOPolicyStatement Reasonable Accommodation Policy: https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/ReasonableAccommodationPolicyStatement Veterans Information: https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/VeteransInformation Telework: www.telework.gov Selective Service Registration: http://www.sss.gov/
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/474598300. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 2017-07-17 to 2017-08-04
Salary: $99,785 to $157,170 / per year
Pay scale & grade: EJ 04
Series: 0340 Program Management
Appointment type: Permanent
Work schedule: Full Time
Job announcement number: EM-17-CB-00016-EXC-MP
Control number: 474598300